Monday, June 22, 2009

Hand-dyeing Class


Last Tuesday, I taught a class at my guild (Warwick Valley Quilters Guild, web site http://www.wvqg.com/ ) on hand-dyeing fabric. The process I taught was low water immersion, a simple beginners course. They did basic colors, then some tints and shades, and ended with a couple of tie-dyes. Below are some pictures of the students. Don't they look like they're having fun!

















They will be bringing in the finished results this coming Tuesday at our meeting. Will have some pictures of their work then.


I had some dyes left over (couldn't waste the dyes) so the next day I did some dyeing.


I also painted some dyes onto soda ash soaked black on white fabrics. I just squirted dyes on the fabric and smooched it around with my hands.



















I used a lot of black dye mixed with red, blue, green and violet. These I plan to discharge. They're actually much darker than the picture.




The weather has been so rainy........I don't know when I'll get to do this.

No comments: