Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Work in Progress

I started working on a hosta plant quilt. I started by taking a photo and enlarging it.

I trace over the key elements then posterize it on the computer.

I use this enlarged picture to trace onto freezer paper for my templates. I used my hand-dyed fabrics for the the leaves. I painted starch onto seam allowances and pressed back onto the freezer paper. Then, removing the paper, I appliqued the units together with invisible thread and blind-hem stitch onto stabilizer.

The right half

and the left half.
The pieced background for the hosta was a rail fence block irregularly cut.

I added a piece of fabric to the bottom for the mulch. I like to do a pieced background to add extra interest.
Then I added the hosta to the background and blind-hem stitched it to the background.
Needless to say, this was not done in one day. It took over a week working on it daily. Decisions on how to machine quilt need to be made. I'll have to give this some thought.
Will keep you informed on my progress.

5 comments:

Martha C. Hall said...

This is beautiful Susan. Wonderful work and use of the hand-dyes.

Robin said...

Susan,
Thanks for visiting my blog today and glad you left your address for me to find you and your amazing hosta quilt.
Great job.
Robin

Carol said...

Beautiful work Susan! Carol

Norma Schlager said...

This is gorgeous! As for the quilting, I would go with the beautiful veining that is in the hosta leaves.

Thanks for putting my quilt on your blog and for the kind comments on my blog.

Marie said...

I saw this quilt the other day after Susan had batted it up. Fantastic! She got a set of 100 wt silk in a variety of greens that she will be using for the veins.