Thursday, August 19, 2010

Deconstructed Screen Printing

I've been dyeing fabric the past couple weeks but haven't had the chance to take pictures or blog about it till now.

I started off by cleaning the garage and giving myself some space to do wet work. It's not the ideal studio but it sure beats working outside in the hot sun. Hopefully, soon, my brother will install a sink for me.

When my space was set up I got to work. I've wanted to try Deconstructed Screen Printing (DSP) since I got Kerr Grabowski's video. My attempts are very simplistic, but hey, you got to start somewhere.






As I was screening, I realized that I should have stopped with each screen much sooner than I did. My dyes on the screens didn't last anywhere near as long as Kerr's did.
I then used a window from an old screen door (it's amazing the things you find when you clean) to do monoprinting. Using up some of the leftover thickened dyes, I spread some across the window then used a notched scraper and made quarter circles with it. This was later overdyed with a yellow/orange dye mix.

The second one I used my fingers to make the design. This still needs to be overdyed but here's the picture.

All of these were cured overnight in plastic sheeting.
A few days later I did some low-water immersion dyeing using a couple recipes from the blog Fabric Dyeing 101 (www.fabricdyeing101.blogspot.com). If you haven't been to this website its worth the look. I used some white with black fabrics for added interest.
I started with "Rainbow Light" series using scarlet, lemon yellow and sky blue. Most of them came out how you'd expect except the top 3. Really loved those colors.

I also tried "Rainbox Jewels", using salmon, teal, and violet. Some came out muted and muddy looking but I'm sure they'll get used.

I had a little dye left over so I did 3 layers of fat quarters: Layer 1 teal, Layer 2 salmon, Layer 3 violet. I smooshed them down too much so the colors blended far more than they should have, but I really like them.

The last set was called "Forest Floor Neutrals" using scarlet, sky blue, and lemon yellow. From the website picture they looked like some greens and 2 browns. Not what I got.

These are a great variety of browns. I'm glad they didn't turn out correctly.
A lot of rinsing took place from these sessions, (the part I dislike the most) but well worth it.
To be continued............

1 comment:

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

Found your blog thru Martha.... I'm very inspired by your efforts......I'm going to get to some DSP before the summer is over!! thanks for posting your results... its all looking great!!