Monday, August 23, 2010

More Deconstructed Screen Printing

I brought out the screens to try DSP again. I made up a couple of screens and let them dry, while waiting I decided to use stencils on the back of another screen to print previously dyed fabrics.



Using the screen of the of the swirly stencil, I let that dry also for DSP. Remembering to stop printing before the whole design was wasted from the screen, I started to print. I used rubber bands, crinkled saran wrap and sequin waste.

This screen was bubble wrap and hair clips.


This one I used black dye in an extruder and drew flowers and leaves.




The end of the flowers and the stencil screen.



These turned out better than my first try, but I still need more imagination in layering items under the screens.


A couple of days later I dyed gradations of yellow/orange, blue/green, and blue/violet. I used different sets of dye mixtures to get clear colors and muted colors. (Used Linda Johansen's book "Fabric Dyer's Dictionary"). This book is a great resource for dye recipes that can be duplicated with same results every time.


The first set of fabrics are yellow/oranges. On the left is clear using lemon yellow and fushia, on the right is muted using golden yellow and chinese red.


The second set of fabrics are blue/green. On the left is clear using turquoise and lemon yellow, on the right is muted using cobalt blue and golden yellow.

The last set of fabrics is blue/violets. On the left is clear using turquoise and fushia, on the right is muted using cobalt blue and chinese red.

I got a good range of values of clear and muted colors. I have a tendency to lean towards the muted colors, but know that the clear values will come in handy.


The last fabric was a fabric I pre-soaked in soda ash water, laid it out on a plastic covered foam board and squirted muted blue/green and muted yellow/orange dye onto the fabric and let dry in the sun. This will be a great fabric to tie into a triatic color scheme of blue/green, yellow/orange, and red/violet.

My next project is to overdye some of these fabrics.


Come back to see how they come out.

1 comment:

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

Hey Susan!!
Thanks for stoppping by my blog...your fabrics are looking cool... I love the surprise element of this process. I finally found my box of thickener .. so I will be making goo and trying this when the weather dries out! THANKS for sharing your results.. I think I need that book you mentioned..a little rusty mixing colors over here!!