Thursday, July 29, 2010

Food Fight

I came up with this idea from the name of a TV show"Food Wars". I overlapped the drawings onto a piece of white cotton. Using a water soluble resist I outlined components, let dry, painted these sections with Seta color paint, heat-set and washed out the resist. This process was done numerous times. I continued till I got the effect I wanted. Then I used a light wash of Fabrico Craft Ink over the background.
Now, the scary part, cutting it apart into smaller sections. I say scary because the painting took so long. I cut it into grids, then began rearranging the units for disorganization. When I was happy with the "arrangement" I transferred the pieces to backing and batting. Using invisible thread, I zigzagged each piece to the other.
Then I outline quilted all the elements and added details. When the quilting was finished I sewed an irregular zigzag stitch with variegated thread to reinforce the pieces and add texture.
The edge finishing was zigzag stitched to close all 3 layers together.

After I finished I thought of several different methods I could have used to make the process easier and quicker. I really need to think through the whole quilt process before starting.

1 comment:

Arlene Delloro said...

Susan, I hope you'll bring this to show and tell. I'd love to see it up close. I think it's brilliant!