Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fantasy Forest Part II

The top is finished, now comes the quilting.  This is always the hardest part for me.  The decisions for quilt designs are overwhelming and as I look at the quilt, I freeze.

I'm trying a wool batting.  I never used this before but have heard good things.  I started in the center and outlined all the "trees" and their shadows and put in branches.  The I quilted in some deciduous trees, then stippled the background.




Moving out to the border I outlined and branched the leaf blocks with a matching thread then echo quilted to the edges.






That was the obvious way to go with the quilting.  I put the quilt back on the design wall and stared at it for days trying to decide how to do the alternating blocks and corner squares.  I thought about using the leaf designs and doing the same thing as the sunprint blocks, but that seemed to be overdoing it.  I finally came up with the idea of doing different background designs: teardrops, fans, wood grain, water.  The brain freeze defrosted! These designs felt right and as I quilted, they fell into place and gave the border more texture and interest.





The corner blocks were done in E's and W's.







Below is the final result with a narrow binding of dark green attached.




I guess now that I'm done I should get back to straightening and cleaning.  NOT!!!


No comments: