Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It Snowed, So I Snow-dyed

Last Monday morning I woke to snow-----so instead of working on a quilt (anything not to work on that quilt) I did some snow-dyeing. There wasn't that much snow and it was melting fast. I soda soaked a couple of yards of fabric, mixed dyes and scraped snow off the driveway. I used a combo of red/violet and yellow/orange. The second piece I used blue/violet and yellow/green. I set these to the side to melt and do their thing. When I looked outside the snow had stopped and was quickly melting (faster than it was on my fabric). Tuesday after my guild meeting I rinsed the fabrics.
My dh came out to the garage and advised me that it was to snow again Wednesday, so instead of washing my fabrics I let them air dry and got more fabric ready for the snow.


I woke Wednesday to more snow than Monday so I decided to dye 4 more pieces.

Orange and green
Orange and blue/green

Orange and blue/violet

Red/orange and yellow/green


I had a little dye left over (can't let it go to waste) so I did a 3 layer parfait.

Left side is Layer 1 - orange, middle is Layer 2 - fushia with a little blue, right side is Layer 3 - blue. These are dark saturated colors.

I enjoyed my 2 days of snow-dyeing, but lets face it -------


I'M SICK OF WINTER!!!!


Now back to the quilt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you about being sick of winter. This impending storm for tomorrow has me a bit grumpy. The snow dyes came out very nice however, so even though we can be grumpy about snow - at least we can be happy about the possibilities it provide.

Claude